Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Windscreen Wiper



The 1908 FA Cup Final was played at Crystal Palace between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Newcastle United.

The omens looked bad when before the match the ground was lashed with rain, sleet and heavy snow showers. But just before the kick off the skies cleared and a crowd of 75,000 watched Wolves win 3-1 in bright sunshine.

Something good came of the snow showers, however. One Wolves supporter, Captain Gladstone Adams, drove to the match in his motor-car, something of a novelty in those days. But as he drove through the snowstorm he struggled to see where he was going as the snow stuck to his windscreen, and he was forced to fold down his windscreen. That gave him the idea for inventing the windscreen wiper, which he patented in 1911.

6 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Adullamite said...

Very good!

Click Here said...

The windscreen is one of the most delicate parts of a modern car, despite the fact that it's usually made with durability and sturdiness in mind.

windscreen repair melbourne vic

window09789 said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
To get new information visit here
windscreens replacement melbourne
windscreen repair melbourne

windscreenrepair5 said...

Great Content.I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable information with your post.......
Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again, beautiful :) I love reading your posts. They make me happy . . I know something information, to know you can click here
melbourne windscreen replacement
melbourne windscreens

munmun6243 said...

Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts,which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects.
To get new information visit here
melbourne windscreen replacement
melbourne windscreens

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...