Monday 6 May 2013

Letters for Just One Penny



An elderly lady recalls life before the First World War. She remembered that while in service in London her mother regularly sent her the Somerset Herald. 

The postman took the Newspaper by bicycle from Halse in Somerset to Bishop Lydeard station two miles away, then it went by train to Taunton, where it was sorted at the Station; letters then arrived at Paddington and were delivered the same day. If they were taken to Norwood, it meant being sent from Paddington to Victoria, then to Crystal Palace Station and the journey completed by a postman cycling out to them at about 9.00 p.m….all for just one penny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there!
I have really enjoyed reading through your blog. You had a great idea for it and as a history "fan" myself I can fully appreciate it. You really have some great, interesting and informative posts here on a variety of historical subjects here. If you are interested I think I could help to increase your readership and get you some more deserved exposure?
I am looking for quality blogs to include into our community of bloggers - glipho.com
Please check us out and drop me a line at hubert@glipho.com for any questions.
Best!
Hubert

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...